Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Mirren takes a tumble in Berlin



Dame Helen Mirren showed perfect poise when she took a tumble at the Berlin Film Festival.


The Oscar-winning actress, wearing a figure-hugging green lace Dolce And Gabbana gown, lost her footing as she made her way up some stairs for the premiere of her new film, Woman In Gold.


The 69-year-old star, best known for playing the Queen, kept a smile on her face, as she was helped to her feet by a man nearby. She also rebuked photographers for capturing her slip.


Helen later joined her co-stars including Ryan Reynolds, Daniel Bruhl and Max Irons, as well as director Simon Curtis for photos.


In Woman In Gold, she plays Maria Altmann, a Jewish survivor of World War II, who sues the Austrian government for the return of artwork the Nazis stole from her family.


“I used to have a rule, which was that I would never play a living character and look how that one worked out for me,” The Queen star joked at the festival’s press conference.


“I’ve broken that rule, so now I don’t have any rules. The choices that you make for work in our business, they come from so many different directions – people you might be working with, the story, where it might shoot. All of these things are important. With this particular film, I would say it was just simply the story I was unaware of before I read the material and the script.


Helen continued: “I was very struck by the story. And then once I started getting to work on it, I had the great pleasure of getting to know Maria Altmann through the material, who is such a remarkable, wonderful, funny, sexy, witty, humane and a great woman.


“Sadly not personally, as she died before we started the movie. That, for me, was one of the greatest pleasures of doing the film.”


Woman In Gold will open in UK cinemas on April 3.





Mirren takes a tumble in Berlin

No comments:

Post a Comment