Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mick Deane: Funeral Held For Sky News Cameraman



Family, friends and colleagues have paid tribute to Sky News cameraman Mick Deane at his funeral service in London.



Mr Deane was shot dead while covering unrest on the streets of Cairo on August 14.



Some of Britain’s most-respected journalists shared anecdotes of their time working with Mr Deane, while mourners watched a montage of highlights from his career.



Tributes at the service at the London Film Museum in Westminster’s County Hall were led by Mr Deane’s son Patrick.



He said: “My dad was a superhero. When I was little he was just so big and strong and like most kids I thought my dad could save the world and protect me against anything.



“But while most kids grow up and realise how ridiculous that is, and come to terms with the fact their dads are just regular people, I guess I never really did.



“As I grew up, he seemed less big and I needed less protecting, but never for a day did I think my dad was regular.”



Sky News presenter Jeremy Thomas described Mr Deane as “one of the warmest, kindest, bravest and funniest of all men.



He added: “Mick died as he lived – doing his level best. Doing his best to open the eyes of the world to injustice. Doing his best for his mates. Doing his best to get that story on air, whatever the pressures.



“He was, I think, a true warrior of television news.”



 





Mick Deane: Funeral Held For Sky News Cameraman

No comments:

Post a Comment