Thursday, February 26, 2015

Camilla proud of father's regiment



The Duchess of Cornwall has spoken movingly about her late father’s wartime memories as she marked the “glorious history” of the regiment in which he served.


Camilla was attending a reception for the 9th/12th Royal Lancers in London tonight ahead of their amalgamation with the Queen’s Royal Lancers later this year.


In a rare and personal speech, she talked of of her “deep affinity” with the regiment as the “proud daughter” of Major Bruce Shand, who died in 2007.


Wearing a 12th Lancers regiment brooch, which once belonged to the Queen Mother, she said: “As the proud daughter of a 12th Lancer, Major Bruce Shand, who fought with the regiment in France and North Africa alongside the Desert Rats and was awarded the Military Cross in both campaigns, I grew up with the history and traditions of the 12th and subsequently the 9th/12th Lancers and have always felt a deep affinity to the regiment, which is hardly surprising as you are, after all, the ‘Prince of Wales’s own’.


“I know that wherever my (papa) is tonight he will be drinking a toast to the 9th/12th Royal Lancers, a regiment in which he was so proud to have served.


“I feel very proud of my connection to this regimental family, and it is with enormous pride that I put on my 9/12th Lancers brooch, which I intend to wear for many years to come.”




Source Article from https://uk.news.yahoo.com/camilla-proud-fathers-regiment-205139765.html



Camilla proud of father's regiment

No comments:

Post a Comment