Saturday, July 26, 2014

Tomlinson: My favourite ever role



Ricky Tomlinson may be best known for playing layabout Jim Royle – but he has said that the part isn’t his favourite role.


The actor, 74, who also starred in Brookside and in the 2001 comedy film Mike Bassett: England Manager (2001) is probably best loved for his role as the loveable slob in the TV show.


Ricky said that while he loved the part of the couch potato, he had even fonder memories of his role in lesser known 2000 film comedy Nasty Neighbours.


“Of course I loved Jim and he made me popular and earned me a couple of quid, and equally I liked Mike Bassett, but my favourite ever was in a low-budget movie, Nasty Neighbours,” he said.


“There was so little money we had to have a whip round for the teabags for the breaks! I played a down-on-his-luck, double glazing salesman and I ended up winning an award for it, and it’s one I particularly treasure.”


The Liverpudlian actor is totally different to his Royle Family alter-ego – he watches his weight and never drinks alcohol.


“I’m taking more care of myself these days because it’s all about keeping the old machine ticking over so I can carry on doing what I want. I’m a workaholic and don’t want to retire,” Ricky, who had a heart bypass operation in 2007, said.


“I’m from a family of grafters. My dad worked all his life as a baker and two of my three brothers are still working. It’s the way we were brought up. You don’t stop until you’re made to.”


:: Ricky Tomlinson is working with The National Lottery to raise awareness of the £33 million raised every week for local projects and charities in the UK through its #Just Imagine campaign. Find out more about Lottery-funded projects in your area at www.lotterygoodcauses.org.uk.





Tomlinson: My favourite ever role

No comments:

Post a Comment