Saturday, December 14, 2013

Lee forgot Midsomer character name



Gwilym Lee has confessed he’s had the odd teething problem since joining Midsomer Murders – like forgetting his character’s name.


The actor has joined the cast as Detective Sergeant Charlie Nelson – replacing DS Ben Jones as DCI Barnaby’s new partner in crime.


“I’ve forgotten my character’s name a couple of times,” he admitted. “In one scene, I got my ID out and was trying to be really assertive and formal with two suspects.


“I said, ‘This is DCI Barnaby. Erm, I’m DCI Lewis… erm, Nelson!’ Wrong show, wrong show!


“The director was like, ‘What’s going on?’,” added the actor, who appeared in fellow crime drama Lewis in 2009. “It was one of my first jobs out of drama school,” he said.


Midsomer Murders is Gwilym’s biggest gig to date, and he admitted landing such a major TV role left him feeling “pretty nervous” on his first day – and that was before some famous faces popped in.


“We had Rebecca Front in my first episode and, as far as I’m concerned, she can do no wrong,” he recalled. “She’s a bit of a hero and, all of a sudden, I’m working with her. You have to stop yourself from going, ‘I just think you’re great and The Thick Of It is so amazing.’ You have to be really cool and go, ‘What are you up to at the moment?’ Then, on the last day, just as they’re about to go, you go, ‘I love everything you’ve done, I’m a massive fan!’.”


The 30-year-old was over the moon when he got the part – as was his mum.


“She’s like my own personal publicist and has really spread the word,” he said. “She’s my biggest fan, and the rest of the family are very pleased too.”


:: Midsomer Murders: The Christmas Haunting airs on ITV on Tuesday, December 24.





Lee forgot Midsomer character name

No comments:

Post a Comment